It’s a masterpiece in 25 (!) parts, Michael Holt’s double album 24 Preludes for Piano.
Michael Holt is one of the singers and the pianists of the legendary American band The Mommyheads. Apart from that he’s a singer-songwriter with a large number of records and tours in his own name behind him.
But Michael Holt is also a composer of piano music in classical style. He is inspired by composers like Aleksandr Skrjabin, Erik Satie and Johann Sebastian Bach. Still, the strong sense of artistry and originality is present in Michael Holt’s classical compositions.
This double album was recorded in The Glenn Gould Studio in Toronto.
Here’s a little taste of what to expect:
Tracklist for “24 Preludes for Piano”
- Prelude in A Major (Clouds) 3:39
- Prelude in F Sharp Minor 3:23
- Prelude in B Major 1:13
- Prelude in D Major (Music Box) 1:18
- Prelude in C Major 1:40
- Prelude in F Major (Morning Walk) 4:34
- Prelude in D Minor 5:22
- Prelude in D Flat Major (Manhattan Skyline) 4:52
- Prelude in E Flat Major (Mirror) 2:15
- Prelude in G Minor 2:09
- Prelude in B Flat Major 2:22
- Prelude in G Major (Aria) 3:10
- Prelude in A Minor (Gypsy Waltz) 2:10
- Prelude in E Minor 3:04
- Prelude in C Sharp Minor 7:19
- Prelude in B Flat Minor (The Wizard King) 3:29
- Prelude in E Flat Minor (Rain) 2:56
- Prelude in G Sharp Minor (Dark Night) 2:25
- Double Prelude in A Flat Major (I. Flower) 2:43
- Double Prelude in A Flat Major (II. Blossoming) 2:57
- Prelude in F Minor (Nocturne) 3:46
- Prelude in C Minor 6:26
- Prelude in F Sharp Major (Night Walk) 2:09
- Prelude in B Minor 2:00
- Prelude in E Major (for Sand) 5:48